Monday, November 18, 2013

The only Bible some people ever read...

I've heard the phrase all my live.  "Live your life as a follower of Christ, so that others might see Christ through you, you are the only Bible some people will ever read."

I haven't always been a good example.  I've failed.  I've fallen.  I still fail.  I still show people that I am human, but that's not what I want.

I'm on a mission.

A mission to follow Christ only.  Completely.  In everything.

I hear it all the time that people don't know how I can handle having 4 children, or how I can get done all that I do with all the kids... and there's only way I can do it all, it's because of Christ.  In Philippians, Paul told the Christians at Philippi that he could do ALL things, through Christ who strengthened him.  This needs to be me.  Why is it so hard that when people mention to me how busy I am, I get irritated with them, instead of simply saying that I can do ALL things, because of Christ who is my strength?  Yes, I get irritated, people rarely count my children and shake their head and are amazed that I ahve them all at the grocery store, unless they're having out of character moments and everyone is acting a fool for the day.  People don't seem to notice on normal shopping trips when everyone is pretty well behaved and we're having an easy shopping day.

A preacher I've listened to recently put it this way... good wine comes from good grapes, bitter wine comes from bitter grapes.  Christ told us in Matthew that we will be known by our fruit.  Galatians explains to us that that fruit is the fruit of the Spirit.. love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. In John 15:5-8, Christ said, "I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  IF you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; and so you will be my disciples.

So what is your flavor?  When you, as a Christian, when I, a Christian, am "squeezed", what flavor do I produce... a good sweet wine, a bitter taste, an unripened fruit?  What reaction do I have to trials and tribulations and LIFE?  How can I better show Christ to those around me.

For those who have been around when I personally have been "squeezed" and have not reacted in a Christian way, I apologize.  Please forgive me, and pray for me, as I strive and struggle every day to live abiding in my Christ and producing fruits that please Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment